The Archaeological and Historical Section of the PSNS was founded in 1948 under the guidance of Dr Margaret Stewart, a very notable and distinguished local archaeologist. In the early years, the section carried out and published important excavations and surveys under her guidance, and she also organised courses and seminars to share her skills and knowledge with the section. Accounts of her excavations appeared in specialist journals such as Discovery & Excavation in Scotland.
For more information about A&H activities contact the section secretary, Eva Bennett, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome visitors and new members.
Members of the section are still involved in occasional excavations and surveys under the guidance of professional organisations, but our main activities are a monthly lecture series during the winter, and excursions to monuments, historic buildings and excavations, generally in the summer. We have close links with Archaeology Scotland, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, Tayside and Fife Archaeological Committee and various professional and voluntary organisations. Over the years, as well as contributing papers to the Society’s journal, the Section has issued several important complete publications:
- Dirt, dust and development. 50 years of Perthshire archaeology, available to purchase.
- Pitmiddle Village and Elcho Nunnery, available to download
- A Special Issue of the Society’s Transactions, available to download from the Biodiversity Heritage Library.
- South-East Perthshire Stone Circle Trail – a guide to three ancient monuments (leaflet, available to download)
The following booklet by Dr Margaret Stewart describes an abandoned farmstead, Allt Lochan Nan Losgunn, near Queen’s View (Tay Forest Park) that was excavated in 1972 & 1974 (not a PSNS publication, reproduced by courtesy of Scottish Forestry).
SUMMER EXCURSIONS 2019
For full details, download PSNS A&H Summer Outings Programme 2019
Wednesday 24th April evening
Dunkeld Community Archive
Meeting at Broxden Park & Ride at 6pm
Free but suggest a donation
Sunday 26th May
Scottish Crannog Centre ‘Behind the Scenes’
Meeting at Broxden Park & Ride at 10am
Packed lunch/ café next door
Saturday 29th June
Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre
Meeting Broxden Park & Ride 9.30am
Bring a packed lunch.
Wednesday 17th July evening
Strathearn Archaeology Trail Crieff Community Campus
Meeting Broxden Park & Ride 6pm
All transport is by private cars sharing petrol expenses or a minibus.
For all outings please wear sensible footwear and clothing appropriate to the weather. Several of these outings could involve rough ground or worn steps or pathways.
Convenient catering establishments may not be available so we suggest bringing a packed lunch and a flask or cold drinks for day-time outings.
Remember to bring sunscreen and/or insect repellent if conditions warrant.
If you are interested in any of these outings, please let Eva Bennett know by email or phone 01738 850489 or email@example.com. If necessary on the day of the outing, contact Irene Green 07746 392308.
Please note that all Members, their relatives and friends of the PSNS attend excursions at their own risk, and that every reasonable precaution will be taken by the Section to ensure your health & safety.
WINTER LECTURES 2019 – 2020
The full winter programme of PSNS meetings will be announced in late summer; meanwhile, here are the lectures arranged for the Section:
16 October 2019
‘The Galloway Hoard’ (Margaret Stewart Lecture) – Andrew Nicholson
13 November 2019
‘Al-Andalus: the History of Islamic Spain 711-1492’ – Dr Roger Collins
04 December 2019
‘“Forget the silly notion that I’m here to teach you Botany” – Patrick Geddes in Dundee’ – Matthew Jarron
15 January 2020
‘Perth suffragettes’ – Ajay Close
12 February 2020
‘The Declaration of Arbroath’ – Norman Atkinson
11 March 2020
AGM + ‘Over the Sea to Uist’ – Mark Hall
All indoor meetings are held are held on Wednesdays at 7.30pm in the Soutar Theatre, AK Bell Library, York Place, Perth PH2 8EP. Evenings conclude over tea and coffee.
Occasional newsletters of the Section
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2019 March
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2019 February
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 September – includes reports of Summer 2018 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 June – includes reports of Summer 2018 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 February – includes report of Summer 2017 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2017 June – includes report of Summer 2017 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 October – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 August – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2015 June – includes report of Summer 2015 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Summer
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Oct-Nov
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 January
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 December
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2012 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2011 Summer