The Archaeological and Historical Section of the PSNS was founded in 1948 under the guidance of Dr Margaret Stewart, a very notable and distinguished local archaeologist. In the early years, the section carried out and published important excavations and surveys under her guidance, and she also organised courses and seminars to share her skills and knowledge with the section. For more information about A&H activities contact the section secretary, Eva Bennett, at email@example.com
Members of the section are still involved in occasional excavations and surveys under the guidance of professional organisations, but our main activities are a monthly lecture series during the winter, and excursions to monuments, historic buildings and excavations, generally in the summer. We have close links with Archaeology Scotland, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, Tayside and Fife Archaeological Committee and various professional and voluntary organisations. Over the years, as well as contributing papers to the Society’s journal, the Section has issued several important complete publications:
- Dirt, dust and development. 50 years of Perthshire archaeology, available to purchase.
- Pitmiddle Village and Elcho Nunnery, available to download
- and a Special Issue of the Society’s Transactions, available to download.
We welcome visitors and new members.
SUMMER EXCURSIONS 2018
Wed 30th May Market Knowe, Longforgan with Abertay Historical Society Fieldwork Division
Meet Broxden Park and Ride 6.00pm. Please wear stout footwear.
Wed 13th June “Walking in the bloody footsteps of James I” with David Bowler
Meet Perth Museum and Art Gallery 6.30pm
Sat 30th June St Vigeans Stones and Museum in the morning and the Aberlemno stones in the afternoon
St Vigeans Museum – Adult £5, concession £4, HES members free
Meet Broxden Park & Ride at 9.15am
Sun 15th July Linlithgow Palace and Torphican Preceptory with Adrian Cox of Historic Environment Scotland
Linlithgow Palace – Adult £6, concession £4.80, HES members free.
Torphican Preceptory – Adult £2, concession £1.50, HES members free.
If time allows we may visit St Michael’s Church
Meet Broxden Park and Ride at 9.15am
Sun 26th August Sites in the Aberfeldy area
Suggestions for the morning – Croftmoraig and Lundin stone circles and St Mary’s Church, Grandtully.
Castle Menzies and Old Kirk of Weem 2pm
Adult £6.50, concession £5.50
Proposed outings, dates to be confirmed.
Kings Seat, Dunkeld, hillfort excavation starting on 6th September for two weeks.
Visit to V&A Dundee sometime in the winter months. (Scheduled to open September 2018)
PSNS A&H Section – Summer outings 2018 to download or print
DATES OF WINTER LECTURES 2018 – 2019
(programme will be announced soon!)
17th October 2018
16th January 2019
All meetings are held in the Soutar Theatre, AK Bell Library, York Place, Perth PH2 8EP, commencing at 7.30pm
Occasional newsletters of the Section
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 February – includes report of Summer 2017 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2017 June – includes report of Summer 2017 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 October – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 August – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2015 June – includes report of Summer 2015 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Summer
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Oct-Nov
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 January
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 December
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2012 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2011 Summer