The Archaeological and Historical Section of the PSNS was founded in 1948 under the guidance of Dr Margaret Stewart, a very notable and distinguished local archaeologist. In the early years, the section carried out and published important excavations and surveys under her guidance, and she also organised courses and seminars to share her skills and knowledge with the section.
Members of the section are still involved in occasional excavations and surveys under the guidance of professional organisations, but our main activities are a monthly lecture series during the winter, and excursions to monuments, historic buildings and excavations, generally in the summer. We have close links with Archaeology Scotland, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, Tayside and Fife Archaeological Committee and various professional and voluntary organisations. Over the years, as well as contributing papers to the Society’s journal, the Section has issued several important complete publications:
- Dirt, dust and development. 50 years of Perthshire archaeology, available to purchase.
- Pitmiddle Village and Elcho Nunnery, available to download
- and a Special Issue of the Society’s Transactions, available to download.
We welcome visitors and new members.
WINTER LECTURES 2017 – 2018
18th October 2017
“In the Footsteps of the Grand Tours: The 18th Century in Perthshire”
Ian Hill, Heritage and Archaeological Research Practice
Sixth Dr Margaret Stewart Lecture
“A Dark Age Revival: Pitcarmick Houses, Upland Farming and Climate Change in Glen Shee”
Prof Richard Tipping, University of Stirling
“James Stewart and Joan Beaufort: A King and Queen Unleashed, c. 1424 – c. 1437”
Dr Lucy Dean, University of Highlands and Islands
31st January 2018
“From hilltop to shoreline: The Tay Landscape Partnership’s Historic Environment projects”
Sophie Nicol, Tay Landscape Partnership
“The earliest portrait of St Columba”
Prof Jane Geddes, University of Aberdeen
AGM followed by
“Over the sea to Uist: an Udal adventure”
Mark Hall, Culture Perth and Kinross
All meetings are held in the Soutar Theatre, AK Bell Library, Perth
commencing at 7.30pm
A special public lecture, ‘Projet Jade‘ by Dr Alison Sheridan, on Stone Age jade axeheads found in Scotland, will be held at Birnam Arts on Thursday 12th April 7.30pm. See the Birnam Arts website for further information and booking information.
Occasional newsletters of the Section
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 February – includes report of Summer 2017 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2017 June – includes report of Summer 2017 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 October – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 August – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2015 June – includes report of Summer 2015 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Summer
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Oct-Nov
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 January
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 December
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2012 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2011 Summer