The Archaeological and Historical Section of the PSNS was founded in 1948 under the guidance of Dr Margaret Stewart, a very notable and distinguished local archaeologist. In the early years, the section carried out and published important excavations and surveys under her guidance, and she also organised courses and seminars to share her skills and knowledge with the section. For more information about A&H activities contact the section secretary, Eva Bennett, at email@example.com
Members of the section are still involved in occasional excavations and surveys under the guidance of professional organisations, but our main activities are a monthly lecture series during the winter, and excursions to monuments, historic buildings and excavations, generally in the summer. We have close links with Archaeology Scotland, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, Tayside and Fife Archaeological Committee and various professional and voluntary organisations. Over the years, as well as contributing papers to the Society’s journal, the Section has issued several important complete publications:
- Dirt, dust and development. 50 years of Perthshire archaeology, available to purchase.
- Pitmiddle Village and Elcho Nunnery, available to download
- A Special Issue of the Society’s Transactions, available to download from the Biodiversity Heritage Library.
- South-East Perthshire Stone Circle Trail – a guide to three ancient monuments (leaflet, available to download)
We welcome visitors and new members.
SUMMER EXCURSIONS 2018
The members of the Society enjoyed a number of outings to places of interest in Perthshire and beyond. As the Summer draws to a close we have two additional outings that are still to be confirmed.
Kings Seat, Dunkeld, hillfort excavation starting on 6th September for two weeks.
Visit to V&A Dundee sometime in the winter months. (Scheduled to open September 2018)
WINTER LECTURES 2018 – 2019
All indoor meetings are held are held on Wednesdays at 7.30pm in the Soutar Theatre, AK Bell Library, York Place, Perth PH2 8EP. Evenings conclude over tea and coffee.
17th October 2018 ‘Archaeology on a Cromwellian shipwreck off Mull’ – Dr Colin Martin
14th November ‘Perth and the Reformation 1559-1618’ – Prof Jane Dawson, University of Edinburgh
5th December ‘Cairnpapple Hill – 4000 years in the life of a ceremonial and burial complex’ – Adrian Cox, Historic Environment Scotland (7th Dr Margaret Stewart Lecture)
16th January 2019 Joint talk with Abertay Historical Society: ‘An inventory of Perthshire’s orchards: the carselands and beyond‘ – Dr Crispin Hayes
13th February ‘Early Medieval settlement in upland Perthshire: Excavations at Lair, Glenshee 2012-17’ – David Strachan, Perth & Kinross Heritage Trust
13th March AGM + ‘Over the sea to Uist: an Udal adventure’ – Mark Hall, Culture Perth and Kinross
Occasional newsletters of the Section
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 September – includes reports of Summer 2018 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 June – includes reports of Summer 2018 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2018 February – includes report of Summer 2017 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2017 June – includes report of Summer 2017 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 October – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2016 August – includes reports of Summer 2016 excursions
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2015 June – includes report of Summer 2015 excursion
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Summer
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Oct-Nov
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 January
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 December
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2013 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2012 Autumn
- PSNS A&H Section Newsletter – 2011 Summer